E-Prescribing Hits 1 Million in Massachusetts
The first half of 2005 has been successful forthe Massachusetts eRx Collaborative—1 millionprescriptions have been sent electronically. TheeRx Collaborative is an easy and convenient wayfor physicians and other prescribers who participatein multiple health plan networks to prescribemedications for patients, using a handheld deviceand/or a Web browser. The program allows prescribersto do the following:
- Access patient-specific drug histories todetermine current and past prescriptions
- Create new prescriptions and renew oldones electronically
- Send prescriptions for noncontrolled substancesdirectly to the pharmacy via fax or byElectronic Data Interchange and/or print theprescriptions on paper
- Check for drug-drug and drug-allergy interactions
- Check for formulary coverage
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, TuftsHealth Plan, and Neighborhood Health Plan aremembers of the Massachusetts eRx Collaborative.The plans formed the collaborative to stimulateelectronic prescribing (e-prescribing) in the state.