Here is the 411 on this organization, which offers programs to help consumers better understand their medications.
Since 1982, the National Council on Patient Information and Education (NCPIE) has led a grassroots movement to help patients better understand their medications.
The NCPIE is a nonprofit organization comprising various members, including patient advocates, health professionals, public health organizations, schools of pharmacy, pharmaceutical manufacturers, and government officials.
These members develop programs aimed at helping consumers make educated decisions about their health and about the prescription and OTC medications that they take. The NCPIE's programs are also aimed at health care professionals.
The NCPIE's content is unique in that it always provides actionable tips aimed at increasing communication.
Development of information for consumers focuses on a general understanding of medication safety and the importance of engaging health care providers in conversations about health and medications.
Information for health care professionals focuses on effective ways of providing material to consumers and engaging consumers in effective education discussions.
The NCPIE is involved in the following medication awareness campaigns, all of which offer valuable resources for both consumers and health care professionals:
In addition to those 5 flagship campaigns, the NCPIE collaborates with other organizations and actively participates in the following programs.
Visit the NCPIE website6 for information about all these campaigns and programs and more. In addition, becoming a member of the NCPIE is an excellent way to support healthy medication use.
1. National Council on Patient Information and Education. Talk about your medicines month: 2016: polypharmacy-America's other drug problem. http://www.bemedwise.org/talk-about-your-medicines-month/2016. Published October 2016. Accessed August 24, 2017.
2. National Council on Patient Information and Education. Talk before you take. http://www.talkbeforeyoutake.org/. Accessed August 24, 2017.
3. National Council on Patient Information and Education. Must for seniors: toolkits for older adults. http://www.bemedwise.org/health-education-resources/older-adults. Accessed August 24, 2017.
4. National Council on Patient Information and Education. SCOUTStrong. http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BSAFit/MedWise_Award.aspx. Accessed August 24, 2017.
5. National Council on Patient Information and Education. Recovery opens doors. http://www.recoveryopensdoors.org/. Accessed August 24, 2017.
6. National Council on Patient Information and Education. Be medwise. http://www.bemedwise.org/national-council-on-patient-information-and-education/about-us. Accessed August 24, 2017.