Rite Aid Launches Oral Health Education Program
To help patients understand how oral health can impact overall health and well-being, Rite Aid is offering free educational guides from now until September 27 that providing helpful advice from pharmacists. The guides also offer wellness+ rewards for Rite Aid's loyalty program members who purchase common oral health products.
The campaign is designed to show customers the importance of adequate oral health. Experts believe untreated gum disease may increase the risk for heart diseases and stroke. This is particularly critical for those with diabetes, as gum disease may make it more difficult to manage blood sugar.
"Oral health is a natural subject for patients to discuss with their Rite Aid pharmacist, who is one of the most accessible members of most patients' healthcare teams," said Robert Thompson, Rite Aid executive vice president, pharmacy, in a news release. “Our pharmacists can show patients that by practicing smart dental habits, they’re taking steps to protect their mouth and overall health for years to come.”
Rite Aid’s free oral health guide, which is available now in 4700 stores and online, covers the following topics:
- How inflammation from poor oral health may be linked to heart and blood vessel damage
- Why people with diabetes need to be especially careful to guard against mouth disease
- How parents can promote oral health in their children starting before they can brush their own teeth
- How to react in a dental emergency such as a broken, knocked out or chipped tooth
- How to alleviate persistent dry mouth, a common side effect of many medications
- Which foods are harmful to teeth and healthier alternatives to promote good oral health
- How to floss and brush correctly and the benefits both can bring
Visitors to Rite Aid’s Web site can also watch videos demonstrating proper brushing and flossing techniques; receive oral health tips specific to children or to those with diabetes; and learn about opportunities for low-cost dental care.
Until Sept. 27, members of Rite Aid’s free customer loyalty program wellness+ can earn $5 in +UP Rewards to use like cash toward a future Rite Aid purchase. The +UP Rewards are printed on the bottom of register receipts once $25 in select oral health products have been purchased.