Pharmacy Clinical Pearl of the Day: Gonorrhea
Symptoms of gonorrhea include painful urination, pain or swelling in the affected area, vaginal bleeding, and abdominal pain.
Clinical Pearl of the Day: Gonorrhea
Gonorrhea is an infection caused by a sexually transmitted bacterium that infects both males and females.
- Gonorrhea most often affects the urethra, rectum, or throat. In females, gonorrhea can also infect the cervix.
- Gonorrhea is commonly spread during vaginal, oral, or anal sex; however, babies of infected mothers can subsequently be infected during childbirth. In babies, gonorrhea most commonly affects the eyes.
- Abstaining from sex, using a condom during sex, and being in a mutually monogamous relationship are the best ways to prevent sexually transmitted infections.
- Symptoms include painful urination, pain or swelling in the affected area, vaginal bleeding, and abdominal pain.
- Diagnosis includes urine test and swabs of the area.
- Treatment includes antibiotics such as ceftriaxone and zithromax, as well as gemifloxacin.