Pharmacy Clinical Pearl of the Day: Adult Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
ADHD is a mental health disorder that includes a combination of persistent challenges, such as difficulty paying attention, hyperactivity, and impulsive behavior.
Clinical Pearl of the Day: Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Adult attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a mental health condition that includes a combination of persistent challenges, such as difficulty paying attention, hyperactivity, and impulsive behavior.
- Though it's called adult ADHD, symptoms start in early childhood and continue into adulthood.
- Adult ADHD symptoms may not be as clear as ADHD symptoms in children. In adults, hyperactivity may decrease, but struggles with impulsiveness, restlessness, and difficulty paying attention may continue.
- ADHD symptoms may include impulsiveness, disorganization and problems prioritizing, poor time management skills, trouble multitasking, poor planning, mood swings, hot temper, and trouble coping with stress.
- Causes may be genetic, environmental factors, and due to problems during mental development.
- Treatment may include medications, cognitive and behavioral therapy, and skill training.
- Medications may include stimulants such as Adderall, Dexedrine, Focalin, and Ritalin, and some non-stimulants, such as atomoxetine, and antidepressants such as bupropion.