OTC Pearl of the Day: Mineral Ice
Menthol works by causing the skin to feel cool and then warm.
- Menthol is known as a counterirritant. It works by causing the skin to feel cool and then warm. These feelings on the skin distract the person from feeling the aches or pains deeper in the muscles and joints.
- This medication is for use on the skin only.
- Apply to the affected area no more than 3 to 4 times a day. If using the cream, gel, or liquid, rub in gently and thoroughly.
- Wash hands well after applying unless using this medication to treat the hands.
- Avoid getting this medication in the eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Do not apply to skin that is injured or irritated, such as skin that is cut, scraped, sunburned, infected, or has a rash.
- Do not bandage or tightly wrap the affected area.
- Adverse effects include redness, warmth, or irritation at the application site.
- Store at room temperature away from light and moisture.