Indication: This combination medication is used to prevent or treat low blood calcium levels in people who do not get enough calcium from their diets.
- Citracal + D may be used to treat conditions caused by low calcium levels, such as bone loss (osteoporosis), weak bones (osteomalacia/rickets), decreased activity of the parathyroid gland (hypoparathyroidism), and a certain muscle disease (latent tetany).
- Directions: Take this medication by mouth with food. Take 1 or 2 tablets per day, per the provider’s directions.
- Do not crush or chew extended-release tablets.
- Adverse effects include constipation and upset stomach.
- Chewable tablets may contain sugar or aspartame. Caution is advised if you have diabetes, phenylketonuria (PKU), or any other condition that requires you to limit/avoid these substances in your diet.