Navigation Skills: Resources for Today's Economy
Pharmacy students seeking a position in the pharmacy job market need to stand out in the crowd to land the opportunity they desire. Here are some key skill sets that are required to navigate the turbulent job market today.
Perfect Your Resume to Make it Perfect
- Write a clear, concise career objective
- Proof, reproof, and have at least 2 reviewers check for any errors
- Personalize the cover letter
- Be sure the type is readable
Interview Dos and Don’ts
- Do arrive early for your interview
- Don’t dress inappropriately or in business casual
- Do confirm the interview time, location, and the interviewer’s name
- Don’t forget to bring extra copies of your resume
- Do research on the position and company
- Don’t do all the talking
- Do listen to the questions and the job expectations
- Don’t forget to send a follow-up communication after the interview
Landing a Job
- Start your job search early
- Follow up on every lead
- Network, network, network
- Utilize the career counseling services available at your pharmacy school
- Join professional pharmacy associations and stay active
Pharmacy students should become active members of professional associations. Here are some key organizations for the pharmacy industry.
American Pharmacists Association (APhA)
The APhA New Practitioner Network offers professional development and networking resources, career and employment resources, a financial planning resource center, and reduced membership fees for students and new practitioners.
American Society of Health- System Pharmacists (ASHP)
The ASHP Web site has a “New Practitioners Forum” designed specifically for graduating pharmacy students with information about residency, volunteer opportunities, awards and programs, networking, and other career resources.
National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS)
The association supports students with the NACDS Foundation Pharmacy Student Scholarship Program and the NACDS Foundation Research and Mission Advancing Grants Program to fund projects that advance community pharmacy.
National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA)
The NCPA offers a variety of resources for NCPA Student Chapters, including the
community service projects, internships and residencies, advocacy opportunities, and career guides.