Daily OTC Pearl: Tolnaftate (Tinactin)
Tinactin is an effective medication for athlete's foot, ringworm, and jock itch.
OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Tolnaftate (Tinactin)
Indication: Tinactin (tolnaftate) is an effective OTC medication used for athlete's foot, ringworm, and jock itch, but it shouldn't be used for more serious infections.
- Tinactin is an antifungal medication
- Dosage forms: It comes in creams or a can of spray.
- Dosing: It’s recommended to apply a thin layer of Tinactin to the affected areas twice daily for 4 weeks. If you are using this for athlete's foot, be sure to apply it between the toes as well.
- Mechanism of action: Tinactin is believed to prevent ergosterol biosynthesis by inhibiting squalene epoxidase. It has also been reported to distort the hyphae and to stunt mycelial growth in susceptible organisms.
- The area of the application must be washed thoroughly and be dry before the application process.
- Tinactin solution and spray are flammable. Avoid fire, flames, or smoking during and after applying Tinactin.
- Store your container in a cool, dry place away from sources of heat.
- Tinactin should not be used in children under 2 years of age.