Daily OTC Pearl: Sambucol (Black Elderberry)
Elderberry has been used in alternative medicine as a possibly effective aid in treating constipation and other conditions.
OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Sambucol (Black Elderberry)
Indication: Elderberry has been used in alternative medicine as a possibly effective aid in treating constipation. Elderberry is also possibly effective in reducing the symptoms of influenza.
- Elderberry is a berry from a European or Black elder tree. The berries are used to make medicine.
- Other uses that have not been proven with research have previously included heart disease, gum disease, high cholesterol, obesity, or the common cold.
- Caution against use for patients with multiple sclerosis, lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Adverse effects include diarrhea, numbness, weakness, dizziness, and runny nose.
- Directions to use: Dissolve entire tablet in mouth. Do not chew and do not swallow whole. Take 1 tablet at the outset of symptoms. Repeat every 3 hours until symptoms are gone.