OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Neosporin
Indication: Neosporin helps prevent infection of minor cuts, scrapes, and burns.
- Neosporin is available without a prescription for self-medication.
- Do not use this product over large areas of the body.
- This product contains neomycin, bacitracin, and polymyxin, which are antibiotics that work by stopping the growth of bacteria.
- This medication prevents/treats only bacterial skin infections.
- It will not work for other types of skin infections (e.g., infections caused by fungi, viruses).
- Unnecessary use or misuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.
- Application is usually 1 to 3 times a day to the affected area.