OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Flonase (Fluticasone) Nasal Spray
Indication: Nonprescription fluticasone nasal spray (Flonase Allergy) is used to relieve symptoms of rhinitis, such as sneezing and a runny, stuffy, or itchy nose; and itchy, watery eyes caused by hay fever or other allergies (caused by an allergy to pollen, mold, dust, or pets).
- Flonase comes in Sensimist, regular dosage, and children’s dosage.
- Flonase nasal sprays act on multiple inflammatory substances (histamine, prostaglandins, cytokines, tryptases, chemokines, and leukotrienes).
- Flonase products relieve a wide range of symptoms, providing 24-hour relief from nasal congestion, itchy eyes, watery eyes, runny nose, itchy nose, and sneezing.
- Flonase is indicated for itchy, watery eyes in adults and children 12 years of age and older.
- The main difference with Flonase Sensimist is that its patented MistPro Technology delivers a fine mist. The alcohol-free spray is virtually no-drip and features the shortest nozzle of any allergy spray.
- Dosing: The recommended starting dosage in adults is 2 sprays (50 mcg of fluticasone propionate each) in each nostril once daily (total daily dose, 200 mcg).
- Manufacturer: GSK