OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Dermoplast
Indication: Dermoplast is used on the skin for the short-term relief of pain and itching from certain skin conditions, such as sunburn, scrapes, minor cuts/burns/skin irritation, and insect bites.
- Benzocaine is a local anesthetic that works by causing temporary numbness/loss of feeling in the skin.
- Menthol works by causing the skin to feel cool and then warm to distract you from feeling the pain and itching.
- Before use, clean and dry the affected area as directed.
- Apply a thin layer of medication to the affected area of skin as directed, not more than 3 to 4 times a day.
- Hold the can 6 to 12 inches (15 to 30 centimeters) from the affected area and spray on the skin.
- Do not spray on your face or in your mouth.
- If you need to apply this medication to your face, spray it into the palm of your hand and gently apply it to your face.
- Do not use on large areas of the body, cover the area with waterproof bandages or plastic, or apply heat unless directed to do so by your physician. Doing so may increase the risk of serious adverse effects.