Daily OTC Pearl: Compound W for Warts
Compound W is used to help remove warts, corns, and calluses.
OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Compound W
- Salicylic acid helps cause the wart to gradually peel off. Salicylic acid is a keratolytic.
- Compound W is also used to help remove corns and calluses.
- This product should not be used on the face or moles, birthmarks, warts with hair growing from them, or genital/anal warts.
- It belongs to the same class of drugs as aspirin (salicylates).
- Mechanism of action: It works by increasing the amount of moisture in the skin and dissolving the substance that causes the skin cells to stick together. This makes it easier to shed the skin cells.
- Warts are caused by a virus that is not affected by salicylic acid.
- Compound W is for use on the skin only. To avoid irritation, do not let this medication come into contact with your eyes, nose, mouth, groin, or any broken skin. If you do get the medication in those areas, flush the area with cool water for 15 minutes. Wash hands after use.
- Adverse effects may include slight burning, skin redness, and peeling may occur. These effects are expected.
- Manufacturer: Prestige Consumer Healthcare