OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Bisacodyl (Dulcolax)
Indication: Dulcolax is indicated for the relief of occasional constipation.
- As with all laxatives, Dulcolax should not be taken on a continuous daily basis or for extended periods without investigating the cause of constipation.
- Prolonged excessive use may lead to fluid and electrolyte imbalance and hypokalemia.
- Adverse Events: Dizziness and/or syncope have been reported in patients who have taken Dulcolax.
- Dulcolax coated tablets contain lactose and sucrose.
- One coated tablet contains 34.9 mg lactose and 21.4 mg sucrose (saccharose), resulting in 69.8 mg lactose and 42.8 mg sucrose per maximum recommended daily dose for treatment of constipation.
- Directions: Take 1 to 2 coated tablets (5 mg-10 mg) daily, orally or 1 adult suppository (10 mg) daily, rectally.
- Each enteric coated tablet contains bisacodyl 5 mg.
- Manufacturer: Sanofi