Medication Pearl of the Day: Tosymra (Sumatriptan Nasal Spray)
Indication: Tosymra is indicated for the acute treatment of migraine with or without aura in adults.
- Dosing:The recommended dose of Tosymra is 10 mg given as a single spray in one nostril.
- Dosage form: Single-dose nasal spray device delivering 10 mg of sumatriptan.
- Adverse events: Myocardial ischemia, Prinzmetal’s angina, arrhythmias, cerebrovascular events, overuse headache, and seizures.
- Mechanism of action:Sumatriptan binds with high affinity to human cloned 5-HT1B/1D receptors. Sumatriptan presumably exerts its therapeutic effects in the treatment of migraine headache through agonist effects at the 5-HT1B/1D receptors on intracranial blood vessels and sensory nerves of the trigeminal system, which result in cranial vessel constriction and inhibition of pro-inflammatory neuropeptide release.
- Manufacturer: Upsher-Smith