Medication Pearl of the Day: Loteprednol Etabonate (Lotemax)
Indication: Lotemax is a corticosteroid indicated for the treatment of post-operative inflammation and pain following ocular surgery.
- Dosing:Apply 1 to 2 drops of Lotemax into the conjunctival sac of the affected eye 4 times daily beginning the day after surgery and continuing throughout the first 2 weeks of the post-operative period.
- Dosage forms: Lotemax contains 5 mg/g of loteprednol etabonate, as a sterile preserved ophthalmic gel.
- Adverse events: The most common adverse drug reactions were anterior chamber inflammation (5%), eye pain (2%), and foreign body sensation.
- Mechanism of action: Corticosteroids inhibit the inflammatory response to a variety of inciting agents and probably delay or slow healing. They inhibit the edema, fibrin deposition, capillary dilation, leukocyte migration, capillary proliferation, fibroblast proliferation, deposition of collagen, and scar formation associated with inflammation.
- Manufacturer: Bausch & Lamb