Daily Medication Pearl: Insulin Lispro Injection (Admelog)
Admelog is indicated to improve glycemic control in type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Medication Pearl of the Day: Insulin Lispro Injection (Admelog)
Indication: Admelog is a rapid-acting human insulin analog indicated to improve glycemic control in adults and pediatric patients 3 years of age and older with type 1 diabetes mellitus and adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Dosing: Administer Admelog by subcutaneous injection within 15 minutes before or immediately after a meal.
- Dosage forms: 10 mL multiple-dose vials, 3 mL single patient use SoloStar prefilled pens.
- Adverse events: Adverse reactions associated with Admelog include hypoglycemia, allergic reactions, injection site reactions, lipodystrophy, pruritus, and rash.
- Mechanism of action: Insulins lower blood glucose by stimulating peripheral glucose uptake by skeletal muscle and fat, and by inhibiting hepatic glucose production.
- Manufacturer: Sanofi-Aventis