Daily Medication Pearl: Betrixaban (Bevyxxa)
Medication Pearl of the Day: Betrixaban (Bevyxxa)
Indication: Betrixaban (Bevyxxa) is a factor Xa (FXa) inhibitor indicated for the prophylaxis of venous thromboembolism (VTE) in adult patients hospitalized for an acute medical illness who are at risk for thromboembolic complications due to moderate or severe restricted mobility and other risk factors for VTE.
- Dosing: The recommended dose of betrixaban is an initial single dose of 160 mg, followed by 80 mg once daily, taken at the same time each day with food.
- Dosage forms: Capsules 40 mg and 80 mg.
- Adverse events: Most common adverse reaction (incidence > 5%) is bleeding.
- Mechanism of action: Betrixaban is an oral FXa inhibitor that selectively blocks the active site of FXa and does not require a cofactor (such as antithrombin III) for activity. Betrixaban inhibits free FXa and prothrombinase activity. By directly inhibiting FXa, betrixaban decreases thrombin generation. Betrixaban has no direct effect on platelet aggregation.
- Manufacturer: Portola Pharmaceuticals