Medication Pearl of the Day:Benicar (Olmesartan Medoxomil)
Indication: Benicar (Olmesartan Medoxomil) is an angiotensin II receptor blocker indicated for the treatment of hypertension, alone or with other antihypertensive agents, and is used to lower blood pressure.
- Dosing: Benicar (Olmesartan Medoxomil) can be taken at 20 mg to 40 mg daily.
- Dosage forms: Benicar (Olmesartan Medoxomil) comes in dosage forms at 5 mg, 20 mg, and 40 mg.
- Adverse events (AEs): The most common AE in adult patients is dizziness.
- Mechanism of action: Benicar (Olmesartan Medoxomil) works by blocking the vasoconstrictor effects of angiotensin II by selectively blocking the binding of angiotensin II to the angiotensin II receptor type 1 in vascular smooth muscle.
- Manufacturer: Daiichi Sankyo
Benicar (olmesartan medoxomil) tablet label (fda.gov)