Seven Deadly Sins and How to Avoid Them: Résumés
1. SPELLING ERRORS—Proof, reproof, and have at least 2 reviewers proof your résumé.
2. DIRTY/UNCLEAR PRINT—Print in traditional fonts with a size of at least 12 points, using a laser printer.
3. POOR QUALITY PAPER—Purchase a high-grade, heavy bonded paper.
4. WEAK CAREER OBJECTIVE—Write an objective that is "employer-oriented" and not purely self-serving.
5. NO COVER LETTER—Attach a cover letter that introduces you and your interest in the position.
6. EXTRANEOUS MARKS, FOLDS, WRINKLES, TEARS—Keep your résumés in a firm, closed folder.
7. IMPERSONAL MAILING ADDRESS—Send your résumé to the individual who will make the hiring decision?not to the company or "to whom it may concern."