10 Inspirational Songs for Your Pharmacy Playlist
Music can be a powerful way to inspire, heal, and motivate.
Music can be a powerful way to inspire, heal, and motivate. Have you ever listened to a song on the radio, or attended a Broadway show or concert and been emotionally moved by music that has brought back a memory or inspired you? Studies have increasingly demonstrated the health benefits of music therapy including managing dementia symptoms and reducing distress of young children receiving immunizations.1,2
The pharmacy profession can be stressful, and studies have shown that it may be highest in the community setting due to increased workload and expanding roles.3 There is a lack of evidence regarding the use of music for pharmacists to reduce stress, but I would like to provide a list of songs that may help to inspire you and incorporate as part of your pharmacy routine. You can play these in the morning before heading to work, during your workday, or to relax after your shift. Just a word of caution: it is a good idea to check with your colleagues before playing music at work to make sure it isn’t a distraction for anyone.
Here are 10 inspirational songs for your pharmacy playlist:
1. This is Me: From the movie The Greatest Showman
This show stopping song received a Golden Globe Award and was nominated for an Oscar for the movie The Greatest Showman. It is extremely inspirational and teaches the importance of self-confidence.
2. Defying Gravity: From the Broadway show Wicked
This uplifting song can help get you through a rough day at work and even inspire you to take chances. Maybe you are considering writing a book or presenting at a continuing education program.
3. Fight Song: Performed and written by Rachel Platten
Playing this motivating song is a great way to start your work day.
4. Seasons of Love: From the Broadway show Rent
This song begins with the famous line “five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes.” There are a plethora of opportunities to achieve greatness both personally and professionally throughout the year.
5. I Write the Songs: Performed by Barry Manilow
This song demonstrates the powerful role that music can play.
6. It’s My Life: Performed by Bon Jovi
Pharmacists can learn a lot from this song, as it emphasizes the importance of making the most of your life and not backing down from your moral and ethical standards.
7. Don’t Stop Believin’: Performed by Journey
This popular song can serve as a great motivator and demonstrates that things tend to have a way of working out.
8. Eye of the Tiger: From the movie Rocky III
This classic song demonstrates the importance of standing up for what you believe in, which is such an important part of the pharmacy profession.
9. I Gotta Feeling: Performed by the Black Eyed Peas
Chances are that you have probably heard this song at many parties you have attended. Pharmacists deserve a break to have some fun!
10. We are the Champions: Performed by Queen
When I listen to this song, it reminds me that pharmacists are patient champions and drug experts. Pharmacists have also championed for changes in legislation such as increasing roles in administering immunizations and provider status.
I hope that you enjoy these songs and take comfort in their words. Music can inspire you and also get you through times of sadness. Use these songs to enhance your life or create your own pharmacy playlist.
- Hsu MH, Flowerdew R, Parker M, et al. Individual music therapy for managing neuropsychiatric symptoms for people with dementia and their carers; a cluster randomised controlled feasibility study. BMC Geriatr. 2015; 15:84.
- Yinger OS. Music therapy as procedural support for young children undergoing immunizations: a randomized controlled study. J Music Ther. 2016; 53(4):336-363.
- Jacobs S, Johnson S, Hassell K. Managing workplace stress in community pharmacy organisations: lessons from a review of the wider stress management and prevention literature. Int J Pharm Pract. 2018; 26(1):28-38.