US Clinicians Warn Public to 'Stay Calm, Be Prepared' in Recent COVID-19 Survey
More than 90% of physicians, nurses, and pharmacists are concerned about COVID-19 affecting their patients, whereas 68% of doctors and 67% of nurses feel they are reasonably prepared for a COVID-19 outbreak in their area.
In a recent study conducted by Toluna, over 90% of physicians, nurses, and pharmacists are concerned about the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) affecting their patients, whereas 68% of doctors and 67% of nurses feel they are reasonably prepared for a COVID-19 outbreak in their local area.
Data were gathered from more than 500 physicians and 250 nurses and pharmacists throughout the course of 3 days, from February 28, 2020, to March 5, 2020. In addition, 1000 US consumers were surveyed in less than 24 hours on March 2, 2020.
When asked about the media’s influence on the implications of the spread of COVID-19, 70% of nurses and pharmacists and 59% of physicians feel that the media is overplaying the virus.
Additionally, 68% of nurses and pharmacists and 46% of physicians have had their patients ask for suggestions and recommendations to help protect them from COVID-19. Suggestions from physicians include following CDC guidelines, proper hand hygiene, and avoiding touching your face. Nurses and pharmacists recommend proper hand washing, staying away from sick people/staying home if you are sick, and sanitizing surfaces.
In the separate survey regarding consumer preparedness for COVID-19, only 9% of consumers felt “extremely knowledgeable,” while 50% feel “somewhat knowledgeable.” When asked whether behaviors have changed since the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak, 62% of consumers feel that they have not changed, while the other 38% feel they have.
“Public anxiety can escalate during times of uncertainty,” said Nick Langeveld, managing director of North America for Toluna, in an email to Pharmacy Times®. “Access to information, especially realistic perspectives from those on the front line of public health, can calm fears. Toluna has a panel community of 30 million members, including physicians, nurses and pharmacists, who can share insights and accurate information, quickly and on a global scale. It is important that we engage our community of clinicians about COVID-19. We want to ensure their voices are heard.”
- ‘Stay Calm, Be Prepared’ is coronavirus message from surveyed U.S. clinicians [news release]. Wilton, Conn.; BusinessWire: March 17, 2020. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200317005586/en/%E2%80%98Stay-Calm-Prepared%E2%80%99-Coronavirus-Message-Surveyed-U.S.. Published March 17, 2020. Accessed March 20, 2020.