Pharmacy Clinical Pearl of the Day: Signs and Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
There are several types of bipolar disorders, including mania or hypomania and depression.
Clinical Pearl of the Day: Signs and Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder is a mental health condition that causes extreme mood swings that include emotional highs (mania or hypomania) and lows (depression).
- There are several types of bipolar disorders, including mania or hypomania and depression.
- Bipolar I disorder: At least 1 manic episode that may be preceded or followed by hypomanic or major depressive episodes. In some cases, mania may trigger a break from reality (psychosis).
- Bipolar II disorder: At least 1 major depressive episode and at least 1 hypomanic episode, but no manic episodes.
- Cyclothymic disorder: At least 2 years—or 1 year in children and teenagers—of many periods of hypomania symptoms and periods of depressive symptoms.
- Treatment options: May include mood stabilizers such as lithium, valproic acid, divalproex sodium, carbamazepine, and lamotrigine; antipsychotics such as olanzapine, risperidone, quetiapine, aripiprazole, ziprasidone, and lurasidone; antidepressants and their combination with antipsychotics, such as Symbyax; and anti-anxiety medications, such as benzodiazepines.