List of statins for dyslipidemia and lipophilic versus hydrophilic treatments:
- Fluvastatin (Lescol)
- Lovastatin (Mevacor, Altoprev)
- Pravastatin (Pravachol)
- Simvastatin (Zocor)
- Atorvastatin (Lipitor)
- Rosuvastatin (Crestor)
- Pitavastatin (Livalo)
- Myalgia may be related to lipophilicity (fat loving) and to high dosage, as well as interaction with other medications.
- Lipophilic statins penetrate muscle more easily than hydrophilic statins and are associated with a higher incidence of adverse effects, particularly myopathy, although reports of muscle toxicity, including rhabdomyolysis, have been reported with all statins.
- Hydrophilic statins stay out of muscle and brain tissue, which are fat filled.
- Hydrophilic or Lipophilic Statins? (nih.gov)
- Is one statin superior to the others for use in the elderly? | POGOe - Portal of Geriatrics Online Education