Mylan Celebrates EpiPen4Schools(R) Third Anniversary, Program Extension Encourages Anaphylaxis Awareness and Preparedness This Back-to-School Season
In recognition of the third anniversary of EpiPen4Schools, Mylan, the marketer and distributor of EpiPen® Auto-Injector, has announced the program will continue through the 2015/2016 school year.
HERTFORDSHIRE, England and PITTSBURGH, Aug. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, in recognition of the third anniversary of EpiPen4Schools®, Mylan N.V. (Nasdaq: MYL), the marketer and distributor of EpiPen®(epinephrine injection) Auto-Injector, has announced the program will continue through the 2015/2016 school year. This is the only program of its kind supporting access to epinephrine in the event a person experiences a life-threatening allergic reaction, or anaphylaxis, in the school setting. Since its launch in August 2012, more than 56,000 schools have participated in the program.
"As we reflect on the first three years of the program, we are proud of the progress made to enhance anaphylaxis preparedness in schools across the country," said Mylan CEO, Heather Bresch. "With more than 56,000 schools enrolled to date, we often hear about the impact this program has had in local communities. Up to 25% of anaphylaxis cases at school occur in those who have not been previously diagnosed with a life-threatening allergy, so we encourage eligible schools to enroll before students return this fall."
An exploratory, web-based survey of more than 6,000 schools participating in the EpiPen4Schools® program during the 2013/2014 school year found there were a total of 919 anaphylactic events among students and staff at 607 schools. In those events when an epinephrine auto-injector was used, nearly half (48.7%) were treated with an EpiPen® Auto-Injector provided by the EpiPen4Schools® program.
"This past school year, EpiPen® Auto-Injectors provided by the EpiPen4Schools® program were used in two incidents," said Connie Trent, RN, BSN, Health Services Facilitator, Forsyth County Schools, Cumming, Ga. "It is of utmost importance that school personnel are able to act quickly, and with the support and training resources provided through EpiPen4Schools®, our staff is prepared to respond."
Anaphylaxis is unpredictable, so it is important to be prepared with an anaphylaxis action plan that can be activated immediately and involves: avoiding allergic triggers, recognizing the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis, having access to two epinephrine auto-injectors, such as EpiPen® Auto-Injectors, at all times and seeking immediate emergency medical care should anaphylaxis occur.
As part of enrollment in the EpiPen4Schools® program, eligible* schools may choose to receive:
- Four free EpiPen® (epinephrine injection) or EpiPen Jr® (epinephrine injection) Auto-Injectors in the form of two EpiPen 2-Pak® cartons, two EpiPen Jr 2-Pak® cartons, or one 2-Pak of each kind.
- A convenient storage unit, the EpiLockerÂ, to store EpiPen 2-Pak® and EpiPen Jr 2-Pak® cartons received through the program.
- Anaphylaxis: Know It. See It. Treat It. Training Video, which is available on DVD or for download and features an anaphylaxis overview from Dr. Ruchi Gupta, Associate Professor of Pediatrics at Northwestern University and Lurie Children's Hospital, and a step-by-step demonstration of how to administer EpiPen® Auto-Injector.
- EpiPen® Trainer, which contains no drug product or needle, to practice administering EpiPen® Auto-Injector.
- Signs and Symptoms of Anaphylaxis Poster, which is available for order and includes the most common indicators of anaphylaxis to support recognition of these symptoms and help prompt response in an emergency.
For more information about EpiPen® Auto-Injectors and the EpiPen4Schools® program, visitEpiPen4Schools.com.
Connie Trent is a spokesperson of Mylan. Dr. Ruchi Gupta is a paid spokesperson of Mylan.
*A school will only receive EpiPen® Auto-Injectors in accordance with all applicable laws. The school must submit a valid prescription in order to qualify for this program. There is no requirement for a school to purchase additional EpiPen® or EpiPen Jr® Auto-Injectors or any other Mylan Specialty products.