GPhA Announces 2014 Board of Directors
(ORLANDO, FL and WASHINGTON, DC, February 19, 2014) — The Generic Pharmaceutical Association (GPhA) today announced the election of its 2014 Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
Craig Wheeler, President and CEO, Momenta Pharmaceuticals, was elected as GPhA Board Chairman. Wheeler succeeds Tony Mauro, President, Mylan North America.
“I’m honored to be elected as chairman of GPhA’s Board of Directors,” said Wheeler. “Our member companies provide timely access to safe and affordable generic medicines for patients around the globe, putting treatment within reach for hundreds of millions of people. There are so many opportunities ahead for this dynamic industry, and I look forward to contributing to our shared success.”
Generic medicines have saved the U.S. system $1.2 trillion over the past decade and $217 billion in 2012 alone, according to the 2013 Generic Drug Savings in the U.S. report, conducted by IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics on behalf of GPhA.
“It is a time of extraordinary promise for our industry,” said Ralph G. Neas, President and CEO of GPhA. “Patient safety remains our top priority as the Association leads efforts to preserve and promote access to generic medicines. Chairman Wheeler’s strong leadership will be pivotal as the industry works with the FDA, Congress and stakeholders at all levels of the health care system to improve labeling guidance, establish a framework for interchangeable biologic substitution, meet GDUFA goals, and advocate for policies that encourage generic utilization at home and abroad.”
The 2014-2015 GPhA Board of Directors will be:
- Carole Ben-Maimon (Impax Laboratories)
- Doug Boothe (Perrigo Company)
- Chuck Caprariello (Ranbaxy, Inc.)
- John Ducker (Fresenius Kabi)
- Jeff Glazer (Heritage Pharmaceuticals)
- Peter Goldschmidt (Sandoz US)
- Tony Mauro (Mylan Inc.)
- Thomas Moore (Hospira Inc.)
- Allan Oberman (Teva Americas)
- Chirag Patel (Amneal Pharmaceuticals)
- Joseph Renner (Zydus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Jeff Watson (Apotex Corporation)
- Craig Wheeler (Momenta Pharmaceuticals)
- Paul McGarty (Lupin Pharmaceuticals) (at-large director)