Daily Medication Pearl: Rabeprazole (AcipHex)
Rabeprazole (AcipHex) can treat erosive or ulcerative gastroesophageal reflux disease, heartburn, stomach ulcers, and esophageal damage.
Medication Pearl of the Day: AcipHex (Rabeprazole)
Indication: Rabeprazole (AcipHex) is a proton-pump inhibitor (PPI) indicated in adults for healing of erosive or ulcerative gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). It can also treat heartburn, stomach ulcers, and esophageal damage.
- Dosing: 20 mg to 40 mg every day.
- Dosage forms: Delayed-release tablets: 20 mg, delayed-release capsules: 5 mg and 10 mg.
- Adverse events: In the adult studies (4 to 8 weeks), adverse reactions that occurred at a rate greater than 2% and greater than placebo included pain, pharyngitis, flatulence, infection, and constipation.
- Mechanism of action: Rabeprazole belongs to a class of antisecretory compounds (substituted benzimidazole proton-pump inhibitors) that do not exhibit anticholinergic or histamine.
- Manufacturer: Eisai R&D Management