Daily Medication Pearl: Gabapentin Enacarbil (Horizant)
Gabapentin enacarbil treats moderate-to-severe primary restless leg syndrome and postherpetic neuralgia.
Medication Pearl of the Day: Gabapentin Enacarbil (Horizant)
Indication: Gabapentin enacarbil is indicated for the treatment of moderate-to-severe primary restless legs syndrome (RLS) in adults and the management of postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) in adults.
- Dosing: For RLS, 600 mg once daily taken at about 5 pm. A dose of 1200 mg once daily provided no additional benefit compared with the 600-mg dose, but caused an increase in adverse reactions.
- Dosage forms: Extended-release tablets 300 mg and 600 mg.
- Adverse events (AEs): Most common AEs (≥10% and at least 2 times the rate of placebo) were somnolence/sedation and dizziness.
- Mechanism of action: Gabapentin prevents pain-related responses in several models of neuropathic pain in humans.
- Manufacturer: Arbor Pharmaceuticals