5 Key Sessions, Interviews at the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists 2022 Annual Meeting
Pharmacy Times will be covering the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists (ASCP) Annual Meeting, which will be gathering senior care pharmacists in San Antonio, Texas.
Pharmacy Times will be covering the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists (ASCP) 2022 Annual Meeting, taking place in San Antonio from November 3 to 6, 2022.
The ASCP Annual Meeting brings together senior care pharmacists from across the country for workshops, educational sessions, and keynote presentations and associated book signings with famous authors, such as Beth Macy, author of the New York Times bestselling book Dopesick (Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company That Addicted America), and Buffy Lloyd-Krejci, author of Broken: How the Global Pandemic Uncovered a Nursing Home System in Need of Repair and the Heroic Staff Fighting for Change.
Additionally, the ASCP Annual Meeting offers a residency showcase, which allows pharmacy students and established pharmacy professionals alike to talk with peers and experienced professionals about next steps in their career in the geriatric pharmacy profession, methods for landing a residency, and ways to grow their professional network.
Pharmacy Times coverage of ASCP 2022 Annual Meeting sessions will include:
- An interview with Taylor Naberhaus, PharmD, BCGP, and Thu Nguyen, PharmD, on their presentation titled “The End of an Era: The Diminishing Role of Aspirin in Primary Prevention,” which addresses the US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation against the use of aspirin for primary prevention in patients aged 60 years or older and reviews the evidence that tipped the risk versus benefit scales.
- On Saturday, Pharmacy Times will be covering a session titled “Medication Selection in the Spotlight: ASCP Choosing Wisely Statements Shed Needed Light,” which will build upon the 2021 update from ASCP’s Deprescribing Task Force. The speakers will discuss the evidence base used to construct the Choosing Wisely Statements and, using brief patient cases, will provide some potentially practice-changing clinical pearls.
- An interview with Lindsay K. Benedik, PharmD, BCPS, BCGP, and Marty Eng, PharmD, BCGP, BCPP, on their presentation titled “QTc Prolongation and Antipsychotics: A Pharmacist’s Guide to Monitoring and Intervention,” which provides an overview of the value of using the EKG to help monitor medications, especially medications that could cause QTc prolongation. Additionally, Benedik and Eng discuss the importance of understanding QTc and the various medications that can cause QTc prolongation.
- On Saturday, Pharmacy Times will be covering a session titled “Headaches: Tension, Sinus, Migraine…Oh My!!” This session aims to educate pharmacists so that they can better identify the most common types of headaches patients may experience. The session speakers will also review current treatment guidelines and apply knowledge to create treatment plans using both pharmacological and nonpharmacological modalities.
- Lastly, the session titled “On the Bleeding Edge: Debating the Use of Anticoagulants in Older Adults,” will be covered on Sunday. This session will be case-based and presented in a debate format during which the speakers will discuss the pros and cons of 3 contemporary anticoagulation topics that are applicable to older adults.
Stay tuned on PharmacyTimes.com and follow Pharmacy Times on social media for exclusive, live coverage and the latest updates from the ASCP 2022 Annual Meeting.