Webcast: Best Practices in Oncology Pharmacy, Specialty Pharmacy Oversight - Episode 1
Webcast: Best Practices in Oncology Pharmacy, Specialty Pharmacy Oversight
Experts from Emory Healthcare and Winship Cancer Institute discuss the management of oncology patients by pharmacists within an NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center.
During this webcast, experts in the field from Emory Healthcare and Winship Cancer Institute discuss topics pertaining to the management of oncology patients by pharmacists within a National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center.
The discussion was moderated by Ryan Haumschild, director of pharmacy at Emory Healthcare and Winship Cancer Institute, and additionally included Alyssa Billmeyer, PharmD, MHA, specialty pharmacy manager, Emory Healthcare Midtown; Amber Draper, PharmD, BCOP, gastrointestinal oncology specialist and oncology clinical coordinator, Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University; and Kelly Valla, PharmD, BCOP, lymphoma clinical pharmacy specialist, Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University.
The expert panel discussed the following:
- How oncology pharmacists are involved in patient care at Emory and the Winship Cancer Institute.
- Pharmacist involvement in therapeutic recommendations and working with other providers and nursing team members in the patient care continuum.
- How pharmacists are involved in patient education on both intravenous and oral anti-cancer therapies.
- Unique roles within the Emory Specialty Pharmacy.
- Clinical and operational impact of Emory Specialty Pharmacy on patient outcomes.
- Future trends in the clinical integration of pharmacy within a comprehensive cancer center or integrated delivery network.
- How health-system-owned specialty pharmacies can impact patient outcomes and not just operational goals as oncology treatments shift to oral or self-administered therapies.