New Generic Drugs Emerge for Migraines, Cardiovascular Conditions
Six new generic drugs for various cardiovascular-related conditions, brain cancer, and migraines expected to result in significant savings.
Last week, ACETO Corporation announced its subsidiary Rising Pharmaceuticals launched 6 new generic drugs.
The 6 newly-marketed drugs were found to have combined sales of $580 million from May 2016 to May 2017, according to a press release. These new generics may result in significant savings for patients and the healthcare system.
The 6 new generics include:
- Ramipril capsules in 25-mg, 2.5-mg, 5-mg, and 10-mg doses. This drug is an approved generic for Altace manufactured by Pfizer. The drug is indicated to treat patients with hypertension.
- Losartan potassium tablets in 25-mg and 50-mg capsules, which is an approved generic for Cozaar manufactured by Merck. This drug is also indicated for the treatment of hypertension, according to the release.
- Losartan potassium and hydrochlorothiazide Tablets in 50-12.5-mg, 100-12.5-mg, and 100-25-mg doses. This combination therapy is an FDA-approved generic version of Hyzaar, manufactured by Merck. This drug is indicated to treat hypertension.
- Pravastatin tablets in 10-mg, 20-mg, 40-mg, and 80-mg doses. This drug is an approved generic of Pravachol, which is manufactured by Bristol-Myers Squibb. Pravastatin is indicated to lower high cholesterol and triglyceride levels in conjunction with exercise and diet that restricts saturated fats and cholesterol, according to the release.
- Temozolomide capsules in 5-mg, 20-mg, 100-mg, 140-mg, 180-mg, and 200-mg doses, which is an approved generic of Temodar manufactured by Merck. This drug is indicated to treat adult patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma multiforme, according to the release. A generic cancer drug has the potential to improve access to treatment and reduce costs for patients.
- Zolmitriptan orally disintegrating tablets in 2.5-mg and 5-mg formulations. The drug is an FDA-approved generic of Zomig-ZMT, manufactured by AstraZeneca. Zolmitriptan is indicated to treat migraines.