Daily Medication Pearl: Simeprevir (Olysio)
:Simeprevir (Olysio) is an NS3/4A protease inhibitor indicated for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C infection as a component of a combination antiviral treatment regimen.
Medication Pearl of the Day: Simeprevir (Olysio)
Indication: Simeprevir (Olysio) is a hepatitis C virus (HCV) NS3/4A protease inhibitor indicated for the treatment of chronic HCV infection as a component of a combination antiviral treatment regimen.
- Dosing:One capsule taken once daily with food.
- Dosage forms: Capsule 150 mg.
- Adverse events: The most common reported adverse reactions (greater than 20% of subjects) in subjects receiving the combination of simeprevir with peginterferon and ribavirin and occurring with at least 3% higher frequency compared to subjects receiving placebo in combination with peginterferon alfa and ribavirin during the first 12 weeks of treatment were rash (including photosensitivity), pruritus, and nausea.
- Mechanism of action: Simeprevir is an inhibitor of the HCV NS3/4A protease, which is essential for viral replication. In a biochemical assay, simeprevir inhibited the proteolytic activity of recombinant genotype 1a and 1b HCV NS3/4A proteases, with median Ki values of 0.5 nM and 1.4 nM, respectively.
- Manufacturer: Janssen Therapeutics