Medication Pearl of the Day: Armodafinil (Nuvigil)
Indication: Armodafinil is indicated to improve wakefulness in adult patients with excessive sleepiness associated with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), narcolepsy, or shift work disorder (SWD).
- Dosing: OSA or narcolepsy 150 mg to 250 mg once a day in the morning.
- Dosage forms: Tablets 50 mg, 150 mg, 200 mg, and 250 mg.
- Adverse events: Most common adverse reactions (³5%) are headache, nausea, dizziness, and insomnia.
- Mechanism of action: Armodafinil and modafinil have wake-promoting actions similar to sympathomimetic agents, including amphetamine and methylphenidate, although their pharmacologic profile is not identical to that of the sympathomimetic amines.
- Manufacturer: Teva Pharma