Daily Medication Pearl: Anifrolumab-fnia (Saphnelo)
Anifrolumab-fnia is a human immunoglobulin G (IgG)1κ monoclonal antibody indicated for the treatment of moderate to severe systemic lupus erythematosus.
Medication Pearl of the Day: Anifrolumab-fnia (Saphnelo)
Indication: Saphnelo is a type I interferon (IFN) receptor antagonist indicated for the treatment of adult patients with moderate to severe systemic lupus erythematosus, who are receiving standard therapy.
- Dosing: The recommended dosage is 300 mg as an intravenous infusion over a 30-minute period every 4 weeks.
- Dosage forms: Injection 300 mg/2 mL (150 mg/mL) in a single-dose vial.
- Adverse events: Most common adverse drug reactions (incidence ≥5%) are nasopharyngitis, upper respiratory tract infections, bronchitis, infusion-related reactions, herpes zoster, and cough.
- Mechanism of action: Anifrolumab-fnia is a human immunoglobulin G (IgG)1κ monoclonal antibody that binds to subunit 1 of the type I interferon receptor with high specificity and affinity. This binding inhibits type I IFN signaling, thereby blocking the biologic activity of type I IFNs.
- Manufacturer: AstraZeneca