Aetna, CVS/pharmacy to Offer Medicare Prescription Drug Plan
Aetna and CVS/pharmacy announced the launch of a new co-branded Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (PDP). Available in 43 states, including Washington DC, the plan provides Medicare beneficiaries with access to CVS pharmacists and enables them to shop at their own neighborhood CVS/pharmacy.
The plan offers a $26 monthly plan premium and has no deductible for generic drugs. Medicare beneficiaries who sign up for the plan and fill their prescriptions at a CVS/pharmacy can pay a $3 copayment for preferred generic prescriptions and save $10 on copayments for non-preferred generic and preferred brand prescriptions.
“We are committed to providing value to our Medicare beneficiaries, and this new plan is not only affordable, it increases our members’ access to one of the premier pharmacy chains in the United States,” said John Chomeau, head of Aetna Medicare. “With 75% of the US population in the markets in which CVS/pharmacy operates living within 3 miles of a CVS drugstore, Medicare beneficiaries will have convenient access to the prescription drugs they need through this plan.”
In addition to the cost savings on prescription drugs, the plan offers members a number of other features when they fill their prescriptions at a preferred CVS/pharmacy location, including:
- 24-hour or extended-hour services and drive-thru pharmacy windows available at most CVS/pharmacy locations;
- The experience of trained pharmacists available to dispense prescriptions and helpful advice;
- Care 1on1 pharmacist counseling;
- The CVS/pharmacy ExtraCare Health Card, which entitles members to a discount on thousands of over-the-counter CVS/pharmacy brand health-related items.
“This plan allows members to build a relationship with their CVS pharmacist along with the opportunity to realize savings on their prescriptions,” said Josh Flum, Senior Vice President, retail pharmacy, of CVS/pharmacy, in a statement.
In addition to CVS/pharmacy locations, members can continue to access any of the more than 65,000 pharmacies in the Aetna Medicare network.
Annual enrollment for Medicare plans begins Oct. 15, 2011 and continues through Dec. 7, 2011. Medicare beneficiaries can find more information and enroll in these plans by:
- Calling Aetna Medicare at 1-800-529-5586.
- Clicking on aetnamedicare.com or medicare.gov to enroll.