Pharmacy Clinical Pearl of the Day: Erectile Dysfunction
Problems getting an erection can be a sign of an underlying health condition that needs treatment.
Clinical Pearl of the Day: Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction (impotence) is the inability to get and maintain an erection firm enough for sex.
- Problems getting or keeping an erection can also be a sign of an underlying health condition that needs treatment and is a risk factor for heart disease.
- Symptoms may include trouble getting an erection, trouble keeping an erection, and reduced sexual desire.
- Erectile dysfunction may be caused by abnormalities in the brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles, and blood vessels.
- Risk factors may include having certain medication conditions, such as a heart condition, tobacco use, being overweight, injuries, and medications.
- Treatment may include medications such as sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis), vardenafil (Levitra), and avanafil (Stendra).
- Other medications may include Alprostadil self-injection, Alprostadil urethral suppository, and testosterone replacement.
- Lastly, devices can also be used as treatment options, which may include a penis pump and penile implants.