GPhA Welcomes New Board Member, Mike Raya, CEO, West-Ward Pharmaceuticals
Today, the Generic Pharmaceutical Association announced Michael Raya, Chief Executive Officer, West-Ward Pharmaceuticals, will join its Board of Directors.
WASHINGTON, DC (May 23, 2016) — Today, the Generic Pharmaceutical Association (GPhA) announced Michael Raya, Chief Executive Officer, West-Ward Pharmaceuticals, will join it
s Board of Directors.
“Michael Raya is a proven industry leader whose addition to our Board will accelerate our work with Congress, the FDA, stakeholders and others to ensure that generic drugs and biosimilars continue providing millions of Americans with safe, effective and more affordable alternatives to costly brand products,” said Chip Davis, President and CEO, GPhA.
West-Ward Pharmaceuticals offers oral solid and injectable pharmaceuticals to chain stores, wholesalers, distributors, health systems and government agencies. The company is the U.S. agent and subsidiary of Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC. Raya holds a Master’s degree in industrial pharmacy from Long Island University, a Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry from St. Francis College, and is a graduate of INSEAD’s International Executive Program.
“My Board colleagues and the association’s professional staff have been terrific stewards of the industry. I am honored to add my voice to GPhA’s leadership on critical issues of medicine access and affordability,” said Raya.
Generic drugs are 88% of prescriptions dispensed in the United States but only 28% of total drug spending. Generics saved the U.S. health system $254 billion in 2014, according to the annual Generic Drug Savings in the U.S. report compiled by the IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics on behalf of GPhA.
The 2016 GPhA Board of Directors includes:
• Debra Barrett, Teva Americas
• Heather Bresch, Mylan N.V. (Chair)
• Robert Cunard, Aurobindo Pharma US
• John Ducker, Fresenius-Kabi
• Peter Goldschmidt, Sandoz US
• Jim Kedrowski, Sun Pharmaceuticals
• Bertrand C. Liang, Pfenex Inc. (Chair, GPhA Biosimilars Council)
• Marcy Macdonald, Impax Laboratories
• Paul McGarty, Lupin Pharmaceuticals
• Chirag Patel, Amneal Pharmaceuticals
• Tony Pera, Par Pharmaceuticals (Secretary/Treasurer)
• Michael Raya, West-Ward Pharmaceuticals, a Hikma Company
• Joseph Renner, Zydus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
• Richard Stec, Perrigo Company
• Alok Sonig, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
• Jeff Watson, Apotex Corporation (Vice Chair)
• Craig Wheeler, Momenta Pharmaceuticals