Daily OTC Pearl: Polysporin
Some minor skin wounds may heal faster when an antibiotic is applied to the affected area.
OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Polysporin
Indication: Polysporin is used to treat minor wounds (e.g., cuts, scrapes, burns) and to help prevent or treat mild skin infections.
- Minor skin infections and wounds usually heal without treatment, but some minor skin wounds may heal faster when an antibiotic is applied to the affected area.
- This product contains antibiotics that work by slowing or stopping the growth of bacteria.
- This medication is for use on the skin only.
- Directions to use: Clean and dry the affected area as directed. If using the ointment or cream, apply a small amount of the medication in a thin layer on the skin, usually 1 to 3 times daily or as directed by a physician. Wash your hands after use.
- Ingredients include Polymyxin B sulfate 10,000 units, bacitracin zinc 500 units, gramicidin 0.25 mg, lidocaine 50 mg.
- Adverse effects may include burning, redness, or irritation of the skin.