Daily OTC Pearl: Omeprazole (Prilosec)
Prilosec treats duodenal ulcer and gastric ulcer in adults, treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in adults and children, and maintenance of healing of erosive esophagitis.
OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Omeprazole (Prilosec)
Indication: Prilosec is a proton pump inhibitor indicated for the treatment of duodenal ulcer and gastric ulcer in adults, treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease in adults and children, and maintenance of healing of erosive esophagitis.
- Dosing: Includes 20mg, 40mg, and 60mg.
- Dosage form: 10 mg, 20 mg and 40 mg. Delayed-release oral suspension 2.5 mg or 10 mg.
- Adverse events (AEs): Most common AEs in adults (incidence ≥ 2%) are headache, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and flatulence.
- Mechanism of action: Omeprazole belongs to a class of antisecretory compounds, the substituted benzimidazoles, that suppress gastric acid secretion by specific inhibition of the H+ /K+ ATPase enzyme system at the secretory surface of the gastric parietal cell.
- Manufacturer: AstraZeneca