OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Metamucil
Indication: Metamucil is used to treat constipation.
- Metamucil increases the bulk of stool, an effect that helps to cause movement of the intestines.
- It also works by increasing the amount of water in the stool, making it softer and easier to pass.
- Directions: To prevent choking from this medication, take it with a full glass of water or other liquid (8 ounces/240 milliliters).
- If taking the wafers, chew them thoroughly before swallowing. Mix in a full glass of water or other liquid (8 ounces/240 milliliters), stir completely, and drink right away. More liquid may be added to the mixture if it becomes too thick.
- Caution: This product may decrease the absorption of other medications patients may be taking. Take this product at least 2 hours from other medications. Patients should consult a physician or pharmacist for more information or with any questions.
- It may take 1 to 3 days before this medication starts working. Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it.