Daily OTC Pearl: Diphenhydramine (Unisom)
Unisom is an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body.
OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Diphenhydramine (Unisom)
- Unisom is also used as a short-term treatment for sleep problems (insomnia).
- Unisom is an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body.
- Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose. Antihistamines can cause drowsiness and are sometimes used a sleep aids.
- Adverse effects may include confusion, severe dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, constipation, and drowsiness
- Dosing: The usual dose for adults and children 12 years of age and older to help with sleep is 25 mg to 50 mg taken by mouth at bedtime. Some people may only need to take 25 mg at bedtime if they are drowsy in the morning (e.g., they find it interferes with their daily activities) after taking the 50 mg dose.