Daily OTC Pearl: Cetirizine (Zyrtec)
Zyrtec is an antihistamine with principal effects mediated via selective inhibition of peripheral H1 receptors.
OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Cetirizine (Zyrtec)
Indication: For relief of nasal and ocular symptoms of seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis; symptoms of chronic idiopathic urticaria.
- Children from 2 to 6 years of age: 2.5 mg twice daily.
- Children from 6 to 12 years of age: 5 mg twice daily.
- Adolescents 12 years if age and above and adults: 10 mg once daily.
- Contraindication: Zyrtec is contraindicated during lactation. Hypersensitivity to any of the constituents of the formulation, to hydroxyzine, or to any piperazine derivatives.
- Adverse events include somnolence, fatigue, dizziness, and headache.
- Mechanism of action: Cetirizine, a human metabolite of hydroxyzine, is an antihistamine. Its principal effects are mediated via selective inhibition of peripheral H1 receptors.
- Manufacturer: Johnson and Johnson