Daily Medication Pearl: Voltaren (Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel) for Osteoarthritis
Voltaren treats osteoarthritis pain in the joints amenable to topical treatment, such as the knees and the hands.
Medication Pearl of the Day: Voltaren (Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel)
Indication: Voltaren gel is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug indicated for relief of from the pain of osteoarthritis of joints amenable to topical treatment, such as the knees and the hands.
- Dosing: Apply Voltaren (2 to 4 g) to the affected area 4 times daily. Total dose should not exceed 32 g per day.
- Dosage form: Voltaren gel (diclofenac sodium topical gel), 1%.
- Adverse events (AEs): Most common AEs (incidence >2% of patients treated with Voltaren and greater than placebo) are application site reactions, including dermatitis.
- Mechanism of action: Diclofenac has analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and antipyretic properties.
- Manufacturer: Endo Pharmaceuticals