Medication Pearl of the Day: Paliperidone Palmitate (Invega Hafyera)
Indication: Invega Hafyera, an every 6-month injection, is an atypical antipsychotic indicated for the treatment of schizophrenia in adults. Before transitioning to Invega Hafyera, patients must have been adequately treated with Invega Sustenna (1-month paliperidone palmitate) for at least 4 months or Invega Trinza (3-month paliperidone palmitate) for at least one 3-month injection cycle.
- Dosing: Dosing can vary and can be 1092 mg or 1560 mg—see package insert.
- Dosage forms: Extended-release injectable suspension 1092 mg/3.5 mL or 1560 mg/5 mL single-dose prefilled syringes.
- Adverse events: The most common adverse reactions were upper respiratory tract infection, injection site reaction, weight increase, headache, and parkinsonism.
- Mechanism of action: Paliperidone palmitate is hydrolyzed to paliperidone. Paliperidone is the major active metabolite of risperidone. The mechanism of action of paliperidone is unclear. However, its efficacy in the treatment of schizophrenia could be mediated through a combination of central dopamine D2 and serotonin 5HT2A receptor antagonism
- Manufacturer: Janssen Pharmaceuticals