Daily Medication Pearl: Odevixibat (Bylvay) for Progressive Familial Intrahepatic Cholestasis
Odevixibat is indicated for the treatment of pruritus in patients 3 months of age and older with progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis.
Medication Pearl of the Day: Odevixibat (Bylvay)
Indication: Odevixibat is an ileal bile acid transporter (IBAT) inhibitor indicated for the treatment of pruritus in patients 3 months of age and older with progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis (PFIC).
- Dosing: The recommended dosage is 40 mcg/kg once daily in the morning with a meal.
- Dosage form: Oral pellets 200 mcg, 600 mcg. Capsules 400 mcg, 1200 mcg.
- Adverse events (AEs): The most common AEs (>2%) are liver test abnormalities, diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, and fat-soluble vitamin deficiency.
- Mechanism of action: Odevixibat is a reversible inhibitor of the IBAT. It decreases the reabsorption of bile acids (primarily the salt forms) from the terminal ileum.
- Manufacturer: Albireo Pharma