Medication Pearl of the Day: Mesalamine (Apriso)
Indication: Mesalamine (Apriso) is a locally acting aminosalicylate indicated for the maintenance of diarrhea, upper abdominal pain, nausea, nasopharyngitis, flu or flu-like remission of ulcerative colitis in adults.
- Dosing: Four capsules once daily (1.5 g/day) in the morning with or without food. Do not co-administer with antacids.
- Dosage forms: Extended-release capsules 0.375 g.
- Adverse events: The most common adverse reactions (incidence ≥3%) are headache, diarrhea, upper abdominal pain, nausea, nasopharyngitis, flu or flu-like remission of ulcerative colitis in adults, illness, and sinusitis.
- Mechanism of action: The mechanism of action of mesalamine is unknown but appears to be local to the intestinal mucosa rather than systemic.
- Manufacturer: Catalent Pharma
apriso image - Google Search