Daily Medication Pearl: Linaclotide (Linzess)
Linaclotide (Linzess) is indicated for irritable bowel syndrome with constipation and chronic idiopathic constipation.
Indication: Linaclotide (Linzess) is a guanylate cyclase-C agonist indicated in adults for treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) and chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC).
- Dosing: The recommended dosage in adults for IBS-C is 290 mcg orally once daily. For CIC the recommended dosage 145 mcg orally once daily or 72 mcg orally once daily based on individual presentation or tolerability.
- Dosage forms: Capsules in 72 mcg, 145 mcg, and 290 mcg.
- Adverse events: Most common adverse reactions (≥2%) reported in IBS-C or CIC patients are diarrhea, abdominal pain, flatulence, and abdominal distension.
- Mechanism of action: Linaclotide is structurally related to human guanylin and uroguanylin and functions as a guanylate cyclase-C agonist.
- Manufacturer: AbbVie, Ironwood