The Ultimate MPJE Study Guide Review
The Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination is essentially the pharmacist's law exam.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of Pharmacy Times. The review herein is the author's opinion and not official rankings.
The Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination (MPJE) is essentially the pharmacist’s law exam. As the name suggests, the exam requires you to have a good grasp on a pharmacist’s legal responsibilities and requirements.
Even though most of the information included in the MPJE is covered at one point during pharmacy school, you will definitely want to take some time to refresh your memory prior to the exam.
To help you select the best MPJE review guide, I’ve rated 5 national MPJE study guides based on information derived from websites and user reviews. Each study guide is rated on a scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest) and listed in order of rank.
Pharmacy Exam MPJE CD-ROMs/Downloads
Pharmacy Exam’s MPJE resource provides 150 state-specific questions with answers and complete explanations. Federal questions are also available. The downloadable version can run on all devices, and CD-ROMs also available.
- CD and downloadable resources available
- Ability to create your own combo pack to take advantage of pricing discounts
- Free US shipping
- Downloadable products compatible on most devices
- Free upgrades for a year
- Can work at your own pace
- Downloaded products expire 1 year from purchase date
RxPrep MPJE Law Review Online Course
Price: $185 for 6 months, $215 for 12 months
RxPrep’s MPJE Law Review Online Course includes material that matches the content of the 2015 MPJE blueprint. It includes a 6-part video lecture series and another 6-part online test assessment. Each of the tested topics is discussed in a step-by-step manner with exam-style practice questions.
- Avoids legal jargon in favor of practical information
- Ability to e-mail instructors with additional questions
- Mobile app available
- Portable and compatible with most devices
- No shorter-term subscription options available
- Not state-specific
ProntoPass MPJE Review
Price: $130 (MPJE and 1 state); additional states $65
The federal law is broken down into 70 Quickcards with condensed information that uses the memorization/scan learning method, while the individual state law is broken down into 7 or 8 pages of questions and answers.
- Condensed information
- Extremely gimmicky, infomercial-style website
- “Easy” study method seems too good to be true
Price: $49.99-$151, depending on selected product
RxLaw.org offers downloadable resources that include FDA, Drug Enforcement Administration, and state-specific statutes either impacting or governing pharmacy practice. It includes sample exam(s), an interactive table of contents for quick access to sections of interest, clearly identified notes and comments, and additional hyperlinks to reference materials, statutes, rules, and regulations.
- Includes federal and state resources
- Practice tests included
- Study guides not available for all states
- 2016 study guides not available for all states
PharmSuccess MPJE Products
Price: $64.99 and up, depending on product and choice of CD or online access
A variety of packages from PharmSuccess include MPJE practices tests and resources. NAPLEX-MPJE review packages are also available. The MPJE review tests include 90 review questions and test/review modes. There is also a controlled drug laws review with 30 questions and quiz/answer modes, as well as 30 questions on federal law with practice/review modes.
- Can work at your own pace
- Online version available
- Timed practice test
- Live exam simulation
- CD option seems dated
- Online access limited to 30 days
Here’s a list of state-specific resources that you may also find useful, but I didn’t review all of them because that would take forever. (This list was originally compiled by my fellow Pharmacy Times contributor, Timothy O’Shea, PharmD.)
Federal Pharmacy Law
- Federal Law. Dr. Anthony J. Cutie. $105.
- Federal Pharmacy Law Online. RxPrep. $118.
- Guide to Federal Pharmacy Law (8th ed.). Barry S. Reiss, Gary D. Hall. $48.
- MPJE Exam Review. William Feinberg. $86.
- Arizona Pharmacy Law and Public Policy Course Textbook. Mark K Gurney, Roger Morris, Theo Graphos. $150
- California CPJE - Pharmacy Law Exam. Esan Forde, Pharm.D. $99.
- Pharmacy Law for California Pharmacists. Marsha N. Cohen and Sami Sedghani. $73.
- Pharmacy Law Simplified: California Pharmacy Law Study Guide 2014. David A Heckman, PharmD. $94.
- RxPrep CA (CPJE) 2015 Law Review Online Course. $185-$215.
- Connecticut State Law (MPJE). Dr. Anthony J. Cutie. $135. Includes federal law review
- Florida MPJE - Pharmacy Law Exam. Christina Calilung, PharmD. $99.
- Florida State Law (MPJE). Dr. Anthony J. Cutie. $135. Includes federal law review
- Pass the Florida Pharmacy Law Exam: A Study Guide and Review for the MPJE. Dr. Sarah E. Fichuk. $45.
- Strauss's Pharmacy Law Examination Review - Florida. Dr. Steven Strauss. $167.85. Also offers a private, one-to-one review course held in Arsley, New York, for an additional fee
- 2014 Illinois and Federal Pharmacy Law Review. Edward D. Rickert, BS Pharm, JD. $100.
- Indiana MPJE - Pharmacy Law Exam. Frieda Wiley, PharmD. $99.
- Kentucky MPJE - Pharmacy Law Exam. Frieda Wiley, PharmD. $99.
Massachusetts MPJE/Pharmacy Law Review. Alexander Niyazov, PharmD. $99.
- Michigan Pharmacy Law: A Guide to the Statutes and Regulations. Jesse Vivian, RPh, JD. $35-$100.
- 2014 Pharmacy Law Manual. Nebraska Pharmacists Association. $69-$129.
- New Jersey State Law (MPJE). Dr. Anthony J. Cutie. $135. Includes federal law review
- Pharmacy Law, Revised 2014. Professor Angelo Cifaldi. $72.95.
- Strauss's Pharmacy Law Examination Review - New Jersey. Dr. Steven Strauss. $167.85. Also offers a private, one-to-one review course held in Arsley, New York, for an additional fee
- New York State Law (MPJE). Dr. Anthony J. Cutie. $135.
- Pharmacy Law Simplified: New York MPJE Study Guide 2014. Dr. David A Heckman. $94.
- Strauss's Pharmacy Law Examination Review - New York State. Dr. Steven Strauss. $183. Also offers a private, one-to-one review course held in Arsley, New York, for an additional fee
- Pharmacy Law Simplified: North Carolina MPJE Study Guide 2014. David A Heckman, PharmD. $80.
- Ohio MPJE - Pharmacy Law Exam. Frieda Wiley, PharmD. $99
- Pharmacy Law Simplified: Pennsylvania MPJE Study Guide 2014. David A. Heckman, PharmD. $94.
- Strauss's Pharmacy Law Examination Review - Pennsylvania. Dr. Steven Strauss. $140.50. Also offers a private, one-to-one review course held in Arsley, New York, for an additional fee
- Pharmacy Law Simplified: Tennessee MPJE Study Guide 2014. David A. Heckman, PharmD. $94.
- Guide to Texas and Federal Pharmacy and Drug Law (8th ed.). Fred S. Brinkley Jr. and Gary G. Cacciatore. $159.
- Pass the Texas Pharmacy Law Exam: A Study Guide and Review for the Texas MPJE. Dr. Sarah E. Fichuk. $43.
- Pass the Virginia Pharmacy Law Exam. Alexis Long, PharmD. $70.
- Washington Pharmacy Law: A User's Guide 2015. Dr. William E. Fassett. $80.
I wish you the best of luck in passing your MPJE. Happy studying!