Pharmacy Packaging Innovations Honored
An awards ceremony at the Pharmapack Europe exhibition and conference in Paris recognized pioneering packaging innovations that have significantly contributed to improving user safety, ease of use, and other health care needs.
Pharmapack Europe has recognized 8 pioneering packaging innovations.1 Announced in Paris, the 2020 Pharmapack Awards winners included Safe’n’Spray, a smart drug delivery device with reusable electronic locking unit and fingerprint identification that prevents overdosing,2 and the eco-designed Respimat reusable inhaler device.3
Winners were recognized during the Pharmapack Europe exhibition and conference, an annual event for pharmaceutical packaging, drug delivery, medical devices, and machinery.4 They were chosen in categories that include Exhibitor Innovations, Patient-Centric Design, and Eco-Design. They were honored for contributions to improving patient/user safety, ease of use, ecology awareness, patient awareness, and cost efficiency.
As a pharmacist, your insight has a direct effect on patient outcomes. Help drive medicine forward with your opinions. Participate in a quick survey of OTC products for a chance to win a $1,000 Visa gift card. Vote now by clicking here: https://hraresearchnetwork.com/wix/p6499706.aspx?hPTsource=5
The awards were divided into 2 categories, the first being Exhibitor Innovations which saw 6 winners.5
- Best Innovation in Drug Delivery Device (injectable): The Connect™ Auto-Sensing Injection System by Credence MedSystems
- Best Innovation in Drug Delivery Device (respiratory): Safe Safe’n’Spray™ by NEMERA
- Best Innovation in Primary Packaging (solid dosage): Push Tab® loop by Huhtamaki Flexible Packaging
- Best Innovation in Primary Packaging (liquid dosage): Pourer “Lotus” by PACKSYS GmbH
- Best Innovation in Secondary Packaging: Patient Support App by Rondo
- Best Innovation in Machinery: Quantifeel Quality Assurance Platform by Smart Skin Technologies
Marc Hämel, CEO of Nemera, noted that the company was proud to receive the award for Safe’n’Spray.2
“According to the World Health Organization, overdose deaths contribute to between roughly a third and a half of all drug-related deaths, which are attributable in most cases to opioids. Receiving the Pharmapack ‘Best Innovation in Drug Delivery Device’ Award is a great recognition for all our teams working every day to improve patients’ lives with innovative ideas,” Hämel said, in a prepared statement.
In the Health Product category, there are 2 winners. The awards went to:5
- Patient-Centric Design Award: G’DoCon® — Granule Dosing Concept for Creon® SD by Abbott Healthcare Pvt Limited
- Eco-Design Award: Respimat® re-usable inhaler by Boehringer Ingelheim (BI)
The award-winning Respimat design was developed as a result of patient feedback, according to BI. The company expects to reduce plastic waste by 776 tons in the next 5 years, and reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 14,300 tons, compared to most disposable inhaler devices.3
“A very important aim of Boehringer Ingelheim is to lower greenhouse gasses and reduce waste, so we’re proud to be recognized for our efforts in this area,” said Dr Paola Casarosa, Head of Global Therapeutic Areas, BI, in a prepared statement.3
- 2020 Pharmapack Awards Winners. PharmaPack website. https://www.pharmapackeurope.com/en/innovation/awards-winners.html. Accessed February 6, 2020.
- Safe’n’Spray, the smart electronic concept device with child-resistant and locking features, wins the ‘Best Innovation In Drug Delivery Device’ Award at Pharmapack 2020 [news release]. Paris, France. Published February 5, 2020. Accessed February 7, 2020.
- Respimat® re-usable inhaler wins 2020 Pharmapack Eco-Design Award [news release]. Ingelheim, Germany; February 6, 2020: Boehringer Ingelheim website. https://www.boehringer-ingelheim.com/press-release/respimat-re-usable-wins-pharmapack-eco-design-award Accessed February 11, 2020.
- Pharmapack Europe. About Pharmapack. Pharmapack website. https://www.pharmapackeurope.com/en/about.html Accessed February 11, 2020.
- Pharmapack Europe 2020 award winners announced. Eur Pharm Rev website. Published February 7, 2020. https://www.europeanpharmaceuticalreview.com/news/112415/pharmapack-europe-2020-award-winners-announced/. Accessed February 7, 2020.